St. Petersburg Gun Crimes Lawyer
The Morris Law Firm, P.A. can help defend your future from firearm, gun, or weapon charges. Attorney Melinda Morris was a former State Attorney and was responsible for prosecuting a range of very serious weapon offenses, from investigation through trial. This inside knowledge can prove invaluable in defending you from these charges, whether the alleged offense occurred in Pinellas County, Hillsborough County, Manatee County, Sarasota County, or any of the nearby areas.
Florida’s 10-20-LIFE Law
The Florida Legislature passed sweeping legislation that provides for enhanced minimum mandatory prison terms for offenders who commit crimes with guns:
- Mandates a minimum 10-year prison term for certain felonies, or attempted felonies, in which the offender possesses a firearm or destructive device.
- Mandates a minimum 20-year prison term when the firearm is discharged.
- Mandates a minimum 25 years to LIFE if someone is injured or killed.
- Mandates a minimum 3-year prison term for possession of a firearm by a felon.
- Mandates that the minimum prison term is to be served consecutively to any other term of imprisonment imposed.
Types of Weapons Offenses
The Morris Law Firm can defend you against various Firearm / Weapon Offenses including:
- Armed Robbery
- Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon
- Illegal discharge / improper exhibition of a firearm
- Possession of a concealed weapon
- Concealing a loaded gun in a car or vehicle
- Possession of a firearm or weapon by a convicted felon
- Bringing a deadly weapon into an airport
- Juvenile in possession of a firearm
- Illegal sale of a firearm or weapon
Time is of the essence
You have a very narrow window of time between when you are arrested and when the State Attorney’s office makes a decision to file a criminal charge against you. Hiring an attorney immediately to negotiate on your behalf gives you the best chance of avoiding criminal charges.
You have a very narrow window of time between when you are arrested and when the state attorney’s office makes a decision to file a criminal charge against you. Hiring an attorney immediately to negotiate on your behalf with the state attorney’s office gives you the best chance of avoiding criminal charges.
What are the Penalties for Weapons Offenses?
If you are convicted of a weapons offense, you may face the following penalties:
- Face jail or prison time
- Face probation and/or community control
- Face fines
- Mandatory forfeiture of the firearm or weapon
- Be required to pay restitution
- Be required to attend substance-abuse treatment
- Be subject to random drug testing
- Be required to perform community service
- Have your employment or military service status negatively affected
- Have a permanent criminal record
Possible Defenses for Weapons Offenses
Potential Defenses include:
- Failure to Read Miranda Warnings
- Illegal Search or Seizure
- Lack of Intent
- Mistaken Identity
The Morris Law Firm, P.A. St. Petersburg criminal defense attorney is dedicated to defending clients from gun, weapon, and firearm charges throughout Pinellas County. This includes St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Largo, Seminole, Dunedin, Bradenton, and nearby areas. Contact our offices today to learn more about how our law firm can help you find a favorable outcome.
FORMER STATE PROSECUTOR
Melinda Morris is a former prosecutor and has handled thousands of criminal cases from investigation through sentencing enabling us to identify weaknesses in the State’s case against you.
We never settle for the easiest outcome or the typical result. We know how to negotiate with the State Attorney and we will work to get you the best possible outcome.
TRUSTED & EXPERIENCED
Melinda Morris has practiced criminal law for over 20 years. Our clients trust advice that comes from experience in nearly every type of criminal case.
We will know every client’s story because we will take the time to listen and understand. You will work with your attorney one-on-one at every stage of the process.
You will have the cell phone number of your attorney. Your attorney will directly return your call, email, or text to answer your pressing questions.
SAME DAY REPRESENTATION
The government is wasting no time in trying to prove your guilt, a proactive defense is imperative. Prompt and decisive action from your defense attorney is of critical importance.