- " Amazing Experience! Highly Recommend!! Not having any idea what the next steps are in a bad situation requires someone with extreme knowledge. I used google to search for a local lawyer and found the Morris Law Firm. Seth Shapiro was extremely professional and knowledgeable from start to finish. This law firm takes on a case and gives everything they can to help you receive the best possible outcome. Support, encouragement and guidance were all given by Seth in this process. I would recommend this firm to anyone needing help with a legal matter."
- " To the point: Melinda Morris is not only an amazing lawyer, but a compassionate human being. I received same day representation for my child with warmth and tenacious legal experience. Melinda is what is right about a complex, confusing and sometimes corrupt legal system. I never knew the value of an excellent criminal defense lawyer until my family needed one. I cannot thank Melinda Morris enough."
- " I think everyone's biggest concern when hiring a lawyer is will the lawyer be responsive, and will they put your best interests first. Melinda represented me in two cases in which my wife was trying to manipulate the system using false charges to obtain more custody of our daughter. Melinda was always reachable, her advise was sound, and ultimately she was able to get the charges dropped without trial, or plea."
- " We were on vacation in Florida and ran into some troubles and needed an attorney. Mr Shapiro took on our case on a Sunday evening and had us in front of the judge the next day (which other attorneys told us was impossible). He took time to explain to us everything that needed to happen in order for us to be able to return to Michigan. Anytime we had a question, or sent him an email he would reply promptly! We highly recommend him and his firm!!"
- " Seth Shapiro's help, legal advice, and personal advice were invaluable. I looked into other lawyers, and none of them compared to Seth's excellent work ethic, analytic approach, and helpfulness. He is always available. He is down to earth and will not sugar coat anything, but he will work hard to get the absolute best outcome. He spent time reviewing every possible scenario with me and patiently explained every stop of the process. Thank you so much again Seth!"
Why Choose the Morris Law Firm?
- FORMER STATE PROSECUTOR
Melinda Morris is a former prosecutor and has handled thousands of criminal cases from investigation through sentencing enabling us to identify weaknesses in the State’s case against you.
- STRATEGICALLY AGGRESSIVE
We never settle for the easiest outcome or the typical result. We know how to negotiate with the State Attorney and we will work to get you the best possible outcome.
- TRUSTED AND EXPERIENCED
Melinda Morris has practiced criminal law for over 20 years. Our clients trust advice that comes from experience in nearly every type of criminal case.
- PERSONAL ATTENTION
We will know every client’s story because we will take the time to listen and understand. You will work with your attorney one-on-one at every stage of the process.
- PROMPT COMMUNICATION
You will have the cell phone number of your attorney. Your attorney will directly return your call, email, or text to answer your pressing questions.
- SAME DAY REPRESENTATION
The government is wasting no time in trying to prove your guilt, a proactive defense is imperative. Prompt and decisive action from your defense attorney is of critical importance.
Areas of Defense
Throughout the years, the Morris Law Firm has defended individuals for a variety of criminal offenses. For your reference, we have added many of our previous case results to this website. These case results are a sample of Melinda Morris' and Seth Shapiro’s representation in St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Largo and and throughout Pinellas County, Hillsborough County, Sarasota County, Manatee County, and surrounding communities.
Please browse the following pages to learn more about our case results for:
- Not GuiltyCharge(s): Driving Under the Influence (DUI)County: PinellasFacts: Client was in a motorcycle accident. Police responded to the scene of the accident and believed the client to be impaired. Client refused Field Sobriety Tests and Breathalyzer tests. Client admitted to two beers and taking a prescription pill earlier in the day. Client was a commercial drivers license holder (CDL) and if convicted faced losing his CDL and thus his job.Outcome: The Morris Law Firm set the matter for trial. At trial the Morris Law Firm argued that there was a lack of evidence of impairment to sustain a DUI conviction. The jury agreed and returned a not guilty verdict at trial.
- DismissedCharge(s): Driving Under the Influence (DUI)County: PinellasFacts: Client was arrested for DUI. Client was fishing at a local marina and was stopped by police when leaving and blew a 0.188 more than double the legal limit. Client faced a DUI conviction, drivers license suspension, probation, enhanced fines and an ignition interlock device on his vehicle.Outcome: The Morris Law Firm filed a Motion to Suppress arguing that the traffic stop was invalid because there were no facts in evidence to support the officer having a reasonable suspicion of DUI at the time he conducted his stop of the defendant. The Judge agreed and granted the Motion to Suppress the traffic stop which thus resulted in the DUI case being dismissed.
- Not GuiltyCharge(s): Assault / BatteryCounty: PinellasFacts: Client was accused of intentionally shooting a co-worker with a pellet gun causing bodily injury. Client maintained the circumstances were mutual horseplay. Pasco State Attorney’s office was seeking an adjudication which would have resulted in a conviction and the client’s job termination.Outcome: The Morris Law Firm successfully argued that the incident was mutual horseplay, and after a two-day jury trial the client was found not-guilty.
- DismissedCharge(s): Juvenile BurglaryCounty: PinellasFacts: Client was accused of burglarizing a residence with three other co-defendants. Client said that she never entered the residence, but simply was with those who perpetrated the crime. Client faced conviction and probation on a felony charge that may have rendered her ineligible for a college scholarship.Outcome: The Morris Law Firm set the case for trial and then convinced the State Attorney that they had insufficient evidence that the client ever entered the residence or had knowledge that the other parties were going to commit a crime. The State Attorney’s Office filed a Nolle Prosequi thus ending prosecution against the client.
- DismissedCharge(s): Possession of MarijuanaCounty: PinellasFacts: Client was on probation for a previous felony charge of Possession of Marijuana when he was arrested again for Possession of Marijuana during a traffic violation and subsequent search of the client’s vehicle. Client faced a felony Violation of Probation on the original charge along with the new charges. The State Attorney was seeking jail time on the felony Violation of Probation.Outcome: The Morris Law Firm was successful in getting the misdemeanor Possession of Marijuana Nolle Prossed (dismissed) while also negotiating to have the probation reinstated with no jail time served.
Disclaimer: The Florida Bar does not approve or review the case results that criminal defense attorneys provide on their website. As you learn more about our recent case results and statements regarding the quality of our work, please be aware of each of the following:
- The facts and circumstances of your case may differ from the facts and circumstances of the cases we discuss here.
- Not all results are provided.
- The case results discussed here are not necessarily representative of the results obtained in all cases.
- Each case is different and must be evaluated and handled on its own merit.
Criminal Defense Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
Facing criminal charges can be overwhelming. Just because you were arrested does not mean that you will be convicted or suffer the plethora of penalties that come with a conviction. If you or a family member has been arrested, it is important you carefully consider all of your legal options. Whether you have been arrested for a misdemeanor offense, such as DUI, or a serious felony drug crime, you have a lot at stake.
You owe it to yourself to seek out the services of an experienced and dedicated criminal attorney who will never settle for the easiest outcome or the typical result. Our criminal defense attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL, can work one-on-one with you to make sure your rights are preserved and fight to have your charges reduced or even dropped. We fight cases throughout Pinellas County and the surrounding counties in the Tampa Bay Area.Morris Law Firm, P.A. provides a free initial consultation. Call (727) 388-4736 to have your questions answered personally by Melinda Morris. Contact Us Today.During your free initial consultation, we will determine, based on the unique facts and circumstances of your case, an affordable, flexible payment plan that provides you qualified legal representation.We will take over all aspects of your case by tracking it in the court system, analyzing the state’s evidence, preparing defense motions and entering negotiations with the state, all in an effort to minimize the impact on you.
Morris Law Firm, P.A.At Morris Law Firm, P.A., your concerns are our highest priorities. We understand the immense stress that a criminal charge can bring. The experienced criminal defense attorneys of Morris Law Firm, P.A. will be there with you every step of the way, fighting to protect your future from the possibility of prison, jail, fines and a criminal record.Whether you are facing a DUI in St. Petersburg or a felony offense in Clearwater, our skilled and dedicated attorneys are here to help. Contact a compassionate and knowledgeable criminal defense lawyer at Morris Law Firm, P.A., located in the Greater Tampa Bay area.Call (727) 388-4736 to schedule a free consultation.
Dedicated Former Prosecutor Fighting for the AccusedMelinda Morris, the managing partner of Morris Law Firm, P.A., is an experienced criminal defense attorney and former Assistant State Attorney with the Sixth Judicial Circuit in Clearwater, Florida. As a former prosecutor, Melinda has handled thousands of criminal cases from investigation through sentencing.She entered private practice to focus exclusively on criminal defense after gaining valuable experience as a prosecutor in Pinellas County. Melinda’s extensive knowledge of the Florida criminal justice system enables her to identify weaknesses in the State Attorney’s case. She uses her 20+ years of experience as an attorney to pursue the best possible outcome for clients.Melinda is a strong advocate for her clients, no matter the charge. She has represented those facing a variety of felony and misdemeanor offenses, including DUI charges, drug offenses, domestic violence and white collar crimes. As a criminal defense attorney, she also works with clients in sealing criminal records and probation violations.
Protecting the Rights of Out-of-State ClientsIf you have been charged with a crime or have an outstanding warrant in Florida, but currently reside outside of Florida, we still can represent you in your criminal case. Morris Law Firm, P.A. may be able to appear in court on your behalf, ensuring you will not have to return to Florida to deal with your criminal charges.Our attorneys can make the process of dealing with criminal charges easier. We can correspond with you via e-mail and phone to effectively provide you experienced criminal defense representation. We are adamant about keeping you informed and working to defend your rights. This can significantly reduce the burden you face and allow you to move on with your life, while we defend your freedom and record.
Skilled Legal Counsel in DUI/Drunk Driving CasesDUI charges. As a state attorney, she served on the DUI Manslaughter / Vehicular Homicide squad and was responsible for prosecuting serious cases, beginning with the investigation through the trial phase. Additionally, she received special training on prosecuting DUI cases from the state.This inside knowledge and experience allows her to fight for the rights of clients facing a variety of DUI-related charges, including DUI with property damage, commercial DUI and even out-of-state visitor DUI. She understands how prosecutors work in these cases, and she knows how to build a strong defense against the charges.Based on our experience in the practice area of DUI defense, the Morris Law Firm wrote a book – What You Must Know If You Have Been Arrested For DUI – A Former State Prosecutor’s Guide to DUI Charges in Florida – created with the intent to provide critical information about DUI arrests and legal proceedings in Florida to our clients and potential clients.
Same-Day RepresentationMorris Law Firm, P.A. understands that your circumstances are unique and oftentimes urgent, which is why we offer same-day representation services. This means after your free initial consultation, we can get started on your case the same day. When the prosecution and law enforcement officials are wasting no time in trying to prove your guilt, a proactive defense is imperative.The criminal justice system in Pinellas and Hillsborough counties carries with it a myriad of complexities and requirements, which are critically time-sensitive. A St. Petersburg criminal defense attorney from our firm can help you navigate the criminal justice system and help you understand your options.Ask for same-day representation and let us fight for you today.
Finding a Criminal Defense Attorney in Pinellas County, FLLet the experienced criminal defense attorneys at Morris Law Firm, P.A. help you understand what happens next and the potential punishment you could face. It is important to determine if you can avoid a criminal record and if your charge can be dismissed or reduced to a lesser offense.Our attorneys are familiar with the tactics and procedures used by law enforcement agencies throughout Pinellas County, FL, including the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office.Morris Law Firm, P.A. represents clients throughout Pinellas County, Hillsborough County, Sarasota County, Pasco County and Manatee County. This includes St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Tampa, Largo, Pinellas Park, Palm Harbor, Dunedin, and other surrounding areas in the greater Tampa Bay area. Call (727) 388-4736 or send an online message to begin combating the charges you face and getting your life back on track.
Request Your Free Consultation
Use this form to request a free consultation with one of our attorneys.