The Morris Law Firm, P.A. can help defend you or your loved one from theft charges. As a former state prosecutor, Attorney Melinda Morris was responsible for prosecuting a range of very serious theft offenses, from investigation through trial. For a Theft lawyer, this inside knowledge is of critical importance in weakening the prosecution’s case and can benefit your defense.
St. Petersburg Theft Defense Attorney
A Theft as defined in Chapter 812 of the Florida Statutes is:
A person commits theft if he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently:
- Deprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property.
- Appropriate the property to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to the use of the property.
The Morris Law Firm, P.A. can defend you against various theft offenses, including:
- Shoplifting / Retail theft
- Dealing in Stolen Property
- White Collar / Fraud
- Grand Theft (value over $300)
- Felony Theft (two prior theft convictions)
- Auto Theft
- Worthless checks
- “Dine and dash” or gas drive-off
- Defrauding an Innkeeper
- Theft by embezzlement or fraud
Act now to consult with an attorney and find out how to best protect your rights and future opportunities. Theft consequences can be far reaching, including but not limited to: possible jail time, probation, negatively affecting your employment, military, or academic status; and ineligibility to have your record sealed.
- Face Jailtime
- Face probation
- Face criminal fines in addition to a separate civil penalty sought from the victim
- Be required to pay restitution
- Be required to attend shoplifters awareness counseling
- Be required to attend substance-abuse treatment
- Be subject to random drug testing
- Be required to perform community service
- Have your employment or military service status negatively affected
- Have a permanent criminal record
Potential Defenses include:
- Failure to Read Miranda Warnings
- Illegal Search or Seizure
- Lack of Intent
- Mistaken Identity
Melinda Morris is dedicated to defending clients facing theft charges in St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Dunedin, Largo, Bradenton, Seminole, and nearby areas. She represents both adults and youth who have been arrested for these potentially life-altering charges. Contact the Morris Law Firm, P.A. today and learn more about defense options for your specific situation.