Belleair DUI Arrests
The town of Belleair is located in Pinellas County and neighbors the larger city Clearwater. Although it’s smaller in comparison to metropolitan areas such as St. Petersburg, the city still has an active nightlife and tourism industry. Because of this, law enforcement is always on high alert to spot drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Have you been arrested for DUI in the Belleair area? It’s highly recommended you secure legal counsel before you make any major decisions. A DUI conviction can result in serious consequences such as expensive fines or even time spent in jail or prison. Hiring trusted legal representation will significantly increase your chances of reducing or dismissing your charges. If you’ve been arrested for DUI, then contact an experienced criminal defense attorney today.
Attorney for Belleair DUI Arrests in Florida
A DUI conviction can hinder your professional and personal goals. Employers or educational institutions may be wary of admitting someone with a criminal record. The conviction could cost you future job, housing or educational opportunities. That is why we recommend you secure legal counsel early to fight back.
Find the right attorney for you at Morris Law Firm, P.A.. Our defense lawyers collectively have over 10 years of experience to use for your case. We will sit with you, answer your legal questions and chart out a defense plan for your case. Call us now at (727) 388-4736 to set up a free consultation. We practice throughout Pinellas County including Belleair, St. Petersburg, Palm Harbor and Clearwater.
Overview of Belleair DUI Arrests in Florida
- DUI Arrest Statistics for Belleair, Florida
- Automatic License Suspension After DUI Arrest
- DUI Resources in Belleair
- Additional Resources
DUI Arrest Statistics for Belleair, Florida
Florida has adopted a way of collecting arrest data known as the Uniform Crime Report (UCR) program. The report provides standardized charts which categorize arrests by jurisdiction, gender and the type of crime committed. It’s managed by the Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and has been in effect since 1999. The following is some 2017 arrest data for DUI in Belleair and Pinellas County, Florida.
- There were 36,566 arrests were made in Pinellas County;
- The arrest rate per 100,000 population in Pinellas County was 3,801.0; and
- Out of those arrests, 2,425 of them were for DUI-related incidents
- In 2017, the Belleair Police Department arrested 87 people; and
- Out of those arrests, 9 of them were connected to a DUI-related incident
This means one in ten of arrested offenders in Belleair were charged with driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Automatic License Suspension After DUI Arrest in Florida
Not all DUI arrests end in criminal charges. However, if you’re arrested for DUI then you will automatically undergo an administrative license suspension. This is because of implied consent laws, which state you must have your license suspended if you refused a DUI chemical test or submitted and failed. The suspension is unrelated to your criminal charges and is solely managed by the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV).
The suspension terms are different depending on if you refused chemical testing or not. If you failed the DUI chemical testing, then you will have your license suspended for up to 6 months. A second or subsequent failed test will result in a license suspension of up to one year.
A refusal will lead to an enhanced suspension term. You will have your license administratively suspended for up to one year for the first refusal. A second or subsequent refusal will result in a suspended license for up to 18 months.
Thankfully, there’s a way to avoid a suspended license. You can choose to file a request for a formal review hearing to contest your suspension. The hearing will be held at the DHSMV and there you can provide evidence as to why your administrative suspension is unjust. However, you must act quickly. You only have 10 days to file a request for a formal review hearing. After the deadline has passed, the DHSMV will bar you from contesting your suspension entirely.
DUI Resources in Belleair, Florida
- Belleair Police Department – The Belleair Police Department is dedicated to serving its citizens through quality policing. The current Chief of Police for the Department is Rick Doyle. You can locate their offices at 901 Ponce de Leon Boulevard in Belleair, Florida.
- Pinellas County Sheriff’s DUI Unit – Many DUI arrests are made by the Pinellas County Sheriff. This is because the Chief of Police, Bob Gualitieri, has created a specialized DUI unit that is designed to spot drunk drivers. If you want to find their office, it’s located at 14250 49th Street North #1000 in Clearwater, Florida.
- Pinellas County Bureau of Administrative Review – Formal review hearings are held at the Pinellas County Bureau of Administrative Review. Here you can schedule a review hearing for failing or refusing to submit to DUI chemical tests. Their offices are located at 1663 Gulf to Bay Boulevard in Clearwater, Florida.
- DUI School in Clearwater – You may be court ordered to attend DUI courses. These can be found at the Suncoast Safety Council in Clearwater. Access their site to see how to register, what to bring and what each class entails. The Clearwater office can be found at 1145 Court Street and the registration hours are between 8 A.M. and 4:30 P.M.
Reinstating Your License After DUI Arrest – Visit the official website for the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) and learn how to contest your automatic license suspension. Access their site to see the application for an administrative hearing, what’s required and where the administrative courts are located.
DUI Arrest Data in Florida – Visit the official website for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to access their UCR data. Enter the site to see arrests made from 1999 to 2017 categorized by jurisdiction, type of offense and race.
Belleair Attorney for DUI Charges in Florida
If you’ve been arrested for DUI, then it’s time you take action. It’s highly advised you secure trusted legal counsel before moving forward. The justice system can be complicated, and the risks associated with conviction shouldn’t be taken lightly. Fight back today by hiring legal counsel from Morris Law Firm, P.A..
The attorneys at Morris Law Firm, P.A. have years of experience assisting people accused of DUI. We can represent you in both administrative review hearings and in criminal court. Let us help you today by simply calling (727) 388-4736. The first consultation is completely free so there’s nothing to lose. Morris Law Firm, P.A. practices law throughout the Belleair area and surrounding cities including Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Palm Harbor and Oldsmar.
This article was last updated on August 21, 2019.